Friday, July 9, 2010

37.5 Weeks: Pediatrician, OUCH, and BRU

Two doctor appointments today. The first was an interview with a pediatrician and the second was my weekly check-up with my OBGYN.

The pediatrician "meet and greet" (as they called it) went great! I really liked the guy. He was very chipper, energetic, and smiled a ton. He has 3 board certifications, been in practice for over 20 years, and he is in the same building as my OBGYN and hospital. He spent 30 minutes with us going over everything we ever wanted to know about him, pediatrics, vaccinations, etc.. He gave us several brochures and booklets regarding various baby issues. He is very pro-breast feeding and has a nurse on staff who can help with any issues that might arise. His office even sells all Medela products at a good discount to help nursing mothers. I was impressed. His office was not new or fancy but does that really matter? We also met his partner who seemed equally smiley and energetic. We are still planning to interview at least one other pediatrician but if we dont get around to it - I am pretty content with this guy.

My OB visit. Hmmm... well... what can I say... I guess I can start with the GOOD things. My blood pressure is still good. He didn't yell at me that I had gained 3 lbs in one week. Ummm... that was about all the good that happened. Now for the bad part.
......
Don't let anyone tell you that a cervical check is painless. It is NOT. I think I yelled out "OH MY GOD ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!!?" during the exam. I think he was digging for gold or something. He said that he couldn't feel anything because I was squirming so much but he didn't think that I was dilated but he wasn't sure. He did say that my cervix was very high... well, I sorta figured that when he seemed to have his hand halfway to my ribcage!

If that wasn't bad enough the dr said "How are you expecting to push a baby out of there? A baby's head is much bigger!" So then I felt like a huge loser. I have never been scared of pain and have had a good tolerance but what if I turn into a huge wimp on the delivery table? I dont know why but I am feeling like a big failure. Like I wont be able to be strong and deliver this baby bravely. I went to lunch with hubby who thought the entire thing was hilarious and he compared it to when he got a prostate exam. I think he was trying to make me feel better but I still wanted to crawl under a rock. I dont want to let him down.

After all the drama I went to Babies R Us to get the remaining items on my registry (I had a coupon for 10% off my entire purchase). I picked up several water proof pads (for the crib and playard), sheets (crib and playard), Bumpo seat with tray, sunshades and mirror for car, toy for car seat, and I am sure a few other things that I can't remember. Even with the coupon it all came to $180. Sheesh.

To sum it all up: No sign of Baby Boy making his "great escape" any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. You made it to full term, congrats!!! You'll do just fine, don't listen to the OB. Sounds like he may have been having a rough day. You're strong...you won't chicken out and you'll get through it. Partly because you have to and partly because you'll want it to be over :-)

    And yes, it's SO easy to spend money on baby stuff. Im a big fan of consignment shops. You can throw in everything that you WANT and not usually worry about the cost....that's my idea of fun!!

    ReplyDelete