Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Day of Birthing Class

Last night was our first birthing class at the hospital. We got a tour of the Stork Resort (aka the labor and delivery floor), and were giving all the information about the tight security on the floor. It was amazing to hear how many safety precautions are taken there. It made me feel very good and secure. When we went to the classroom area we all introduced ourselves and it was strange that The Hubby and I were the oldest couple, and the ONLY married couple! One girl was a single mom there with her friend. I guess being married is not "in" these days!

Honestly, the class was pretty boring. We mostly talked about symptoms and signs leading up to labor. The term "Bloody Show" was used a lot and I couldn't help but to LOL every time I heard the instructor say it. The main thing I got out of the two hour lesson was that this whole process is super disgusting. When you are laboring you are going to poop, fart, vomit, bleed, and if that is not bad enough - several nurses and doctors will have their hands and fingers up in your 'girly parts'. So much for pregnancy and child birth being a 'beautiful thing'. The husband is scared - I am grossed out.

Now, if all of that wasn't awkward enough - after the class one of the girls came up to my husband and was grinning ear to ear and telling him over and over "I know you!!!!" but she was reluctant to say how she knew him. Finally, I said "you must be an ex-girlfriend or something". Turns out she is best friends with a girl he dated before he and I met. I have no idea why she was acting so goofy about this but she was. I guess they all used to pal around together 10 years ago. I will admit, it was a bit weird but no big deal. We will see her again next week... and the week after that... I am sure more ex-girlfriend talk will occur!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, the ex-girlfriend's best friend story = LOL!
    So little time left now!!!! o_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the gross stuff will be forgotten when you are holding your little boy. :)
    That's what I've been told anyway. Obviously, I don't have a clue!

    ReplyDelete