Monday, April 19, 2010

26 Weeks: OB Appointment, Shopping, & Long Baby

Last week's OB appointment went perfect. My blood pressure was nice and low and I have finally put on a few lbs! I had gained 7 lbs in the 5.5 weeks since my last weigh-in. Although my weight is right on track it was still shocking to see that number on the scale! I have gained 15 lbs total and the nurse said that the 2nd trimester is when most of the weight gain occurs. I am hoping that I gain about 25-30 lbs total but if I gain more, who cares. I am not going to worry about it right now. I am going to try to eat a little bit better - skipping french fries and chips more often. I have really fallen into eating a lot of those types of foods and I know I need to cut back. Instead of having chips for a snack - I am now choosing a few healthy crackers and a yogurt. Still satisfying but much healthier. I go back in 3 weeks so we will see what sort of weight gain I come up with then.

While at the appointment, we met with the Business Manager. She went over the doctor's fees and delivery costs. I have to admit it was much lower than I was expecting. The cost for all of my OB appointments, the delivery, and one post visit will cost us about $950. If we didn't have insurance - it would have been about $3,500! Thank God for good insurance! As nice as $950 sounds - that is only the doctor. We still have to pay for the hospital, medications, epidural, and baby's care when he is born. Also, this is assuming I don't need a c-section. The Business Manager told us to get pre-registered at the hospital ASAP to get a good idea on costs and such. I am going to do that today. I am also going to sign up for the birthing and breast-feeding classes.

This weekend we looked at vehicles AGAIN and have it narrowed down to 2. We are on a waiting list at one dealership for a low mile 2010 demo vehicle. The sales lady let us know that they are about to retire several and she will call us as soon as they do. Getting a demo would save us almost 10k rather than buying brand new. We also looked at furniture - rocking chairs and dressers for the nursery. Of course, we didn't find anything we liked. We continue the search!

I have been feeling great the last several weeks. Aside from hip pains and being exhausted all the time - I am very happy! I am enjoying it while I can because I hear the 3rd trimester gets rough again. From what I have read - Baby Boy is almost 2 lbs and 14 inches long! It is amazing that he is so long!!! Our friend just gave birth to her son and he was 18 inches long - just a little longer than my tummy-dweller! I guess he will get a little bit longer but mostly just fatten up from here on out... Hmmm maybe I do need those potato chips?

3 comments:

  1. I had a love affair with french fries for a few weeks. Now it's cookies. I just can't help myself! I was doing so good in the first trimester and fell off the wagon, so you're not alone! I do eat yougurt so at least there's that...lots of protein an calcium. Greek yogurt is best for pregnancy.

    $950? Not bad! I have to talk to my midwife abou the fees. My out of network deductible is $800 and unfortunately, this pregnancy spans two calendar years. Then there's the bill from my hosptial stay which was $1K for the week (not including anesthesia and the doc so we'll see what the total is). Anyway, it adds up but sounds like yours may not be so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you're buying a 2010 model!? That is SO cool, I mean, these latest models are crazy-expensive! o_o I'm happy for you!!! Hey, show us a picture when you've bought it okay? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. gaining weight for the babeh! yay!

    also 10k off a brand new car is a great deal ^^ i hope it works out! "OH LOOK A SCRATCH! I demand another 1k off!" mwahahaha

    ReplyDelete